|Português: El presidente de Panamá Martín Torrijos. Português: The president of Panamá Martín Torrijos. Português: O presidente do Panamá Martín Torrijos. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Speculations on cause of crash
- "I don't like Communism because it hands out wealth through rationing books.”
- "You may rest assured that in our negotiations with the U.S. you will always find us standing on our feet or dead, but never on our knees. Never!"
- "I don't want to go into history; I want to go into the Canal Zone.”
- "If I fall, pick up the flag, kiss it, and keep on going.”
- "Those that consult more, make fewer mistakes."
- "In the foolishness lies the danger."
- "The (Panama Canal) treaty is like a little pebble which we shall be able to carry in our shoe for 23 years, and that is better than the stake we have had to carry in our hearts."
- The Canal Zone is "a tumor that must go through the operating room."
- Satisfying all parties (on a new Panama Canal Treaty) would be about as difficult as pleasing the "princess who had big feet and asked a shoemaker to find her a shoe small on the outside and large inside."
- Telling the Panamanian poor people "Here are the children of the revolution!"
- Addressing Panamanian peasants "Very foolish you will be if you let them take away the rights I have given you", referring to the landowners.
- "We would always be under The Pentagon's protective umbrella", referring to the Panama Canal Treaty.